The growing education sector in Australia and constantly increasing demand for University and higher education institution enrollment, for domestic and international students, means that academic English language skills are of great importance.
Similarly, finding employment after your course of study requires superior language skills as employers have a growing talent pool to select from. Studying in Australia will give you a practical opportunity to use your English in everyday life and the opportunity to constantly improve. IEMS are members of English Australia, formerly known as ELICOS, who represent over 100 member colleges throughout Australia that provide quality English language programs to students and professionals from around the world. Over 80% of international students learning English in Australia choose to study with an English Australia member college. There are also English language courses available at TAFE institutes and many Universities have established English language pathway courses. Our student advisors are able to help you with course selection and general counseling in all aspects of Australian life. Please contact us for more details.
English language courses in Australia fall into five broad categories:
- General English – focuses on developing general communication skills, with emphasis on speaking and listening.
- English for Academic Purposes – designed to assist in gaining admissions to University or other Higher Education institutions
- English for Specific Purposes – focusing on learning practical English for specific industries, particularly vocational
- Secondary School Preparation – designed to assist in entering Australian secondary education, up to year 12.
- Examination Preparation – Designed to prepare you for English language proficiency examinations, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson and Cambridge Certificates.
Enrolment in English language courses are each semester throughout the year. Courses range in duration from 6 weeks to a full academic year.